Saturday 1 October 2016

An Introduction to Glen Affric

I get some amazing atmospheric photos then as darkness falls a rushed descent to the tent.


Another new area of Scotland for me my guide says its the nicest Glen in the country.

Big route today 13km walk into a youth hostel then a 20 km walk including 3 munroes then walk back out again 43km in total so I decide to take 2 days and take my tent, also decide to walk in instead of cycle cos it sounded like the track was very rough.

After three hours I got to the hostel the warden is out like a shot trying to flog her wares but when I asked to just to have a look around I was refused, typical of the SYHA, the service that likes to say NO
 
If you want to do onr thing they give you ten reasons why you can't do it.
Onward and upward to the col, pitched tent, dumped everything but the camera then did a Munro An Socach (921m) the clouds started to roll in. I get some amazing atmospheric photos then as darkness falls a rushed descent to the tent.
Overnight the clag came in big time I opened the tent door, it was a warm, wet, soggy nightmare I was concerned about what I would find in the morning. Woke again at 05.30 and felt a chill on my face so I quickly opened the tent door, Ice splintered off the fabric, it was a gorgeous morning, the cloud had inverted into the valley leaving a cloudless sky above. A couple of morsels to eat and a quick slurp of iced water and I was off.
I was treated to an amazing sunrise as I ascended Sgurr nan Ceathreamhnan (1151m) followed by Mullach na Dheir again (921m).
Return to the col and tent, load up then another long walk out so I was fairly bushed by the end of the day but contented cos I had bagged three remote and highly sought after summits.

Think I made the right decision about not cycling in BUT added a note to my guide reminding me to cycle past the Pay and display on my next visit.
Back to mountaineering hut, dry the tent put my clothes in the washing machine and hang them out to dry then cook a welcome replenishing meal, down the pub to watch the footy, heaven.

Footnote
I had 7 nights in Scotland costing less than one night had I decided to stay at the youth hostel in Glen Affric, No Brainer.








No comments:

Post a Comment